1983 AM General Postal Jeep, Custom, Hot Rod, rat rod, one of a Kind, unique
up for sale is a “one of a kind” twin engine Postal Jeep. it features twin small block Chevy 350’s both rebuilt, a Chevy TH-400 automatic tranny and a Jeep rear end. it also features Right hand drive power rack and pinion steering and power disk brakes on the front wheels, drum brakes on the rear axle. this is about as unique and cool as you will find anywhere, both engines run and pull hard. can be driven on the highway at 70mph with one hand on the wheel, very stable and easy to handle.
has a custom built frame of 2 x 6 x 3/16 steel tube with a power train sub-frame of 2 x 4 x 1/8 steel tube, both engines and transmission are hard mounted to the sub-frame which is rubber mounted to the main frame. the front suspension features a transverse leaf spring while the rear axle features a traditional twin leaf spring setup.
I also have a set of unfinished doors that have been modified to fit the body/fender area. they will need completion if you want doors but I only drive it in nice weather and it’s nice without the doors on it. it has new 3 point seat belts so it’s plenty safe.
it looks long but it only measures 17′ 5″ from tip to tip, I haven’t weighed it but it’s probably close to 4000 lbs.
below are some of the specifics of the build:
1. Small block Chevy 355’s x 2 (both rebuilt)
2. TH-400 Chevy transmission.
3. 1993 Jeep Cherokee rear end.
4. 1955 Ford I-Beam axle with disk brake conversion.
5. mid-90’s Ford power rack and pinion.
6. power disk brake booster and dual bowl master cylinder.
7. 35 x 12.5 x 17 All terrain tires with matching aluminum wheels.
8. all new window gaskets.
9. new custom electrical system.
10. 2 new aluminum 3 core radiators with electric fans.
11. 2 new electric water pumps.
12. 2 Optima Blue top batteries.
13. 2 new Holley 600 carbs.
14. 2 new electric fuel pumps.
15. aluminum 20 gal. fuel tank (vehicle gets around 7.5 mpg –not bad considering what it is).
More info: Listing has ended. Click to search on eBay for similar 1983 Jeep DJ (Affiliate link)
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia, United States